From day one, Village Earth has been focused on the singular question of “How do we support communities to mobilize and work towards their vision for the future without creating dependence or undermining their own best efforts?” Village Earth’s Global Affiliate Program, started in 2011, is our answer to this question.
The Global Affiliate Program was founded on the belief that local community organizations or groups can best identify their own needs and aspirations. It works by providing a support structure that enables community groups to access information and to find the resources they need to enhance or expand what they are already doing, or would like to do in a sustainable future as they envision it.We are proud to partner with such groups as:
- Empowering Youth Cambodia: working with the next generation of youth leaders living in Cambodia’s over-crowded urban slums;
- Forum for Community Change and Development in South Sudan: advancing the rights of women in a country in deep conflict;
- Jenzera: working to protect the rights and territories of indigenous and ethnic minorities in Colombia.
These are just three of the 17 different grassroots organizations that are part of our Global Affiliate Program.
Below is how one Global Affiliate describes the support we provide:
|The Knife Chief Buffalo Nation Organization, Pine Ridge Reservation, SD.“Knife Chief Buffalo Nation, a grassroots organization on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, raises buffalo and provides for their care as they provide spiritual and physical nourishment for the Lakota people. The buffalo are central to the Lakota spiritual way of life and we are honored to do this work although it is often very challenging to obtain resources for all that is needed to be done. Village Earth helps Knife Chief Buffalo Nation to meet these challenges by providing technical assistance, fiscal accountability and support for our work. We are fortunate to have such an organization to partner with!”– Ethleen Iron Cloud Two Dogs, Board Member of Knife Chief Buffalo Nation Organization|
- Providing computer training for 120 Cambodian youth.
- Training Lakota youth in sustainable home building on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation
- Providing human rights training to women in South Sudan.
- See insert for more about each Global Affiliate and their projects.
This year, we are excited to build on the success of our Global Affiliate Program (now in its 3rd year) by enhancing our support for our existing Global Affiliates through expanded outreach and training opportunities while opening the program up to more organizations. In fact, we are currently reviewing applications from organizations in Senegal, Liberia, and Cambodia—all of which look very promising.
Choose to donate to one of our