TASUNKE WAKAN OKOLAKICIYE (MEDICINE HORSE SOCIETY)
The Tasunke Wakan Okolakiciye (Medicine Horse Society) works to provide Lakota cultural, language, and hands on education services to the Lakota Oyate.
Primary goal of Tasunke Wakan Okolakiciye:
Implement Lakol Wicohan (Lakota life ways and laws, which includes language, values, beliefs, ceremonies and laws of the Lakota people).
Long term goals:
To provide a high degree of medical and social service, as well as improving the quality of life for families in the communities being served.
To revitalize and implement the Lakota language through education and practice.
To strengthen the cultural identity of the Lakota Oyate through linking Lakota Philosophy with the Lakota language.
To empower the Lakota Tiwahe (families) in reclaiming their Lakota identity, through integrating the Lakota Customary, Natural, and Spiritual law within the educational process.
To provide education training and assistance regarding cultural competency.
TASUNKE WAKAN OKOLAKICIYE:
Our unique process includes returning to traditional Oglala Lakota culture and values within the context of modern day life, which is reflected by
- Understanding the primary importance of the tiospaye. (extended family).
- Recognizing that Spirituality encompasses all areas of our life and returning to our traditional spiritual ways.
- Utilizing our traditional healers f…or our physical and mental health care.
- Practicing our Virtues; Wisdom, Bravery, Generosity and Fortitude.
- Teaching and utilizing our Lakota language and observing cultural protocol such as traditional kinship system and terminology.
- Acknowledging and coping with historical grief and inter-generational post traumatic stress disorder.
- Educating Adults and children about Lakota history , traditions and spirituality.
- Regaining the balance we once enjoyed; living in peace with the earth